Wednesday
We have been busy playing out all week. Its a little difficult to get used to get used to the time change in the mornings the first couple of weeks; but we do love the evenings. The Treasures have stayed out until 6:30 came in to eat, take a bath, read and bed. I love it that way. There is just something about the 4-6 time that is no fun indoors. It seems to fly by when they are out having fun.
Here are a few more pics from the day I took the dance costumes. I haven't turned my camera on the past few days. I have been doing taxes. (ick)
oh before I forget:
Sharon asked for me to describe Caitlyn's personality.
Caitlyn is full of life. Very strong, determined, Joyful, sweet, funny. She is 100% Treasure sent straight from Heaven. She has brought us so much happiness. She is a dream fulfilled... a prayer answered.
All of my children are very different from one another. I know some people have children that have similar traits. My children have each challenged my parenting skills differently and I have had to have a unique plan for each of them. I have learned to love them for their differences instead of attempting to fit them in a mold that would be easiest for me. Right when Jacob began showing traits that were unfamiliar to Ryan's, I began attempting to fit him into the same mold that Ryan had fit. That was the only experience I had at being a parent and Ryan happened to be a very mild child that did not challenge my parenting skills much and so I just thought this parenting thing is easy. I was even one of those parents that sometimes looked at others in the store with their tantruming child and thought they did not know what they were doing! (GASP!) ;) Believe me I am 100% a changed mommy now. Full of compassion and wanting to help a fellow parent in need:):)
That all changed with Jacob. He came home in desperate need of love and nourishment.
He was a great baby. As soon as he became a toddler however I knew something was different. He did not talk as early as typical babies his age and he grew quite frustrated easily. Just saying no didn't work like it did with easy little Ryan! ;). Then Chloe came home and was a good baby but again did not fit the mold of Ryan. Two babies together = all kinds of different scenarios in the disciplining ring. You have hair pulling, biting, fighting over a toy, both needing you right now, getting out of a checkout line in a store was hard work and you better have dum dum lolly's or something handy! and the list could go on and on. I will add you also have double the laughter, double the giggles, double the love. and it was so worth it. You have them entertaining each other alot. If anything I wish I could just go back and relax about my parenting skills a little, not worry about Jacob's speech that wasn't developing on schedule, and enjoy them more.
Jacob began speaking around 4 which is way later than your average bear, but that's ok, he has a vocabulary that is pretty amazing now. That's one reason I love homeschooling. It is great for us because I can study things and choose things that Jacob will enjoy that won't bore him to extreme, that won't frustrate him. I can make a lesson plan that will fit him and help him excel and help him to grow in his love for learning.
Anyway, by the time Caitlyn came home I had learned quite a bit and have relaxed and enjoyed her so much. Again though, she has challenged my parenting in different ways than the other 3 Treasures. She came home older than Jacob and Chloe and we had to form a bond. They were so young they bonded pretty quickly. We did not focus on a lot of discipline with Caitlyn for a long time. One example, at 11 months old when she came home, she decided she did not like high chairs. In fact she despised them and let everyone know it. She preferred to sit in her daddy's lap and eat off of his plate. Some people would have thought we were spoiling her and needed to set limits straight from the start. We on the other hand felt there was something she could not stand about being in a device that held her, perhaps a memory from her past that she did not care for, perhaps she cried and cried and no one came? We don't know, so we decided to play it safe rather than sorry, and chose to give in on this. After all she is only a baby once. When she is older you can sit down discuss why its ok to sit in your own chair and eat off your own plate. Right then when she had no way of communicating with us other than her cry telling us she was unhappy, we chose to make her happy. Some people would say that's spoiling, you need to set limits. For us it was gut instinct that she needed this.
Why am I talking about all of this? I have no idea !;) It just kind of came out when I started posting today!
I guess I just want to say enjoy your children. Enjoy everyday. Enjoy their differences, listen to the voice of God inside you speaking to you, directing you on how to handle challenges that arise. Don't try to mold them into someone they aren't. Try to find the positive and focus on it. That child that is throwing a tantrum, or pushing and stretching the limits will one day use that same determination and strong will to do something positive, with some guidance and love and most importantly, lots of prayer! Remember that the same God that chose you to be their parent, chose you because He believes in you. He has faith in you and will put in you whatever you need to help them in whatever challenge you are facing. Here are a few verses that help me remember that He will give me the answers if I seek them:
All your children shall be taught by the Lord,and great shall be the peace of your children.
—Isaiah 54:13
He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD!(Psalms 113:9)
(James 1:5) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be put into confusion.Psalm 71:1
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6





Here are a few more pics from the day I took the dance costumes. I haven't turned my camera on the past few days. I have been doing taxes. (ick)
oh before I forget:
Sharon asked for me to describe Caitlyn's personality.
Caitlyn is full of life. Very strong, determined, Joyful, sweet, funny. She is 100% Treasure sent straight from Heaven. She has brought us so much happiness. She is a dream fulfilled... a prayer answered.
All of my children are very different from one another. I know some people have children that have similar traits. My children have each challenged my parenting skills differently and I have had to have a unique plan for each of them. I have learned to love them for their differences instead of attempting to fit them in a mold that would be easiest for me. Right when Jacob began showing traits that were unfamiliar to Ryan's, I began attempting to fit him into the same mold that Ryan had fit. That was the only experience I had at being a parent and Ryan happened to be a very mild child that did not challenge my parenting skills much and so I just thought this parenting thing is easy. I was even one of those parents that sometimes looked at others in the store with their tantruming child and thought they did not know what they were doing! (GASP!) ;) Believe me I am 100% a changed mommy now. Full of compassion and wanting to help a fellow parent in need:):)
That all changed with Jacob. He came home in desperate need of love and nourishment.
He was a great baby. As soon as he became a toddler however I knew something was different. He did not talk as early as typical babies his age and he grew quite frustrated easily. Just saying no didn't work like it did with easy little Ryan! ;). Then Chloe came home and was a good baby but again did not fit the mold of Ryan. Two babies together = all kinds of different scenarios in the disciplining ring. You have hair pulling, biting, fighting over a toy, both needing you right now, getting out of a checkout line in a store was hard work and you better have dum dum lolly's or something handy! and the list could go on and on. I will add you also have double the laughter, double the giggles, double the love. and it was so worth it. You have them entertaining each other alot. If anything I wish I could just go back and relax about my parenting skills a little, not worry about Jacob's speech that wasn't developing on schedule, and enjoy them more.
Jacob began speaking around 4 which is way later than your average bear, but that's ok, he has a vocabulary that is pretty amazing now. That's one reason I love homeschooling. It is great for us because I can study things and choose things that Jacob will enjoy that won't bore him to extreme, that won't frustrate him. I can make a lesson plan that will fit him and help him excel and help him to grow in his love for learning.
Anyway, by the time Caitlyn came home I had learned quite a bit and have relaxed and enjoyed her so much. Again though, she has challenged my parenting in different ways than the other 3 Treasures. She came home older than Jacob and Chloe and we had to form a bond. They were so young they bonded pretty quickly. We did not focus on a lot of discipline with Caitlyn for a long time. One example, at 11 months old when she came home, she decided she did not like high chairs. In fact she despised them and let everyone know it. She preferred to sit in her daddy's lap and eat off of his plate. Some people would have thought we were spoiling her and needed to set limits straight from the start. We on the other hand felt there was something she could not stand about being in a device that held her, perhaps a memory from her past that she did not care for, perhaps she cried and cried and no one came? We don't know, so we decided to play it safe rather than sorry, and chose to give in on this. After all she is only a baby once. When she is older you can sit down discuss why its ok to sit in your own chair and eat off your own plate. Right then when she had no way of communicating with us other than her cry telling us she was unhappy, we chose to make her happy. Some people would say that's spoiling, you need to set limits. For us it was gut instinct that she needed this.
Why am I talking about all of this? I have no idea !;) It just kind of came out when I started posting today!
I guess I just want to say enjoy your children. Enjoy everyday. Enjoy their differences, listen to the voice of God inside you speaking to you, directing you on how to handle challenges that arise. Don't try to mold them into someone they aren't. Try to find the positive and focus on it. That child that is throwing a tantrum, or pushing and stretching the limits will one day use that same determination and strong will to do something positive, with some guidance and love and most importantly, lots of prayer! Remember that the same God that chose you to be their parent, chose you because He believes in you. He has faith in you and will put in you whatever you need to help them in whatever challenge you are facing. Here are a few verses that help me remember that He will give me the answers if I seek them:
All your children shall be taught by the Lord,and great shall be the peace of your children.
—Isaiah 54:13
He gives the barren woman a home, making her the joyous mother of children. Praise the LORD!(Psalms 113:9)
(James 1:5) If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
In thee, O Lord, do I put my trust; let me never be put into confusion.Psalm 71:1
Trust in the Lord with all your heart; do not depend on your own understanding. Seek his will in all you do, and he will show you which path to take. Proverbs 3:5-6







30 Comments:
Just a wonderful post....Jacob and Daniel sound a lot alike. Daniel is just saying Momma....and only sometimes....he'll be two next month....I'm not worried....I know it will come in time.
By
Steffie B., at March 12, 2008 at 8:56 AM
I think you are doing great... like you said - each child has their different needs and therefore you have to do things differently... if you need to sit one on your lap to eat then do it... I don't think that it is spoiling... I know where I will need to go for advise... hehehe... thanks again for my site... I love and so does everyone else for that matter... take care - new year, referrals for 2006 - time for an overhaul...
By
Fliss and Mike Adventures, at March 12, 2008 at 9:27 AM
Wow, the end of your post was so powerful...it kind of brought tears to my eyes. You are truly a treasure yourself! :) Have a good Wednesday my friend!
By
~Amy~, at March 12, 2008 at 9:43 AM
Wonderful pictures as always, It's so nice to know about your treasures and their personality.
And I agree with Amy,
You're a truly treasure yourself :)
Hugs, Melanie
By
Melanie, at March 12, 2008 at 9:59 AM
Thanks for sharing all of that, Connie! I loved hearing more about and getting to know your Treasures better. I really believe when we each share our parenting experiences (which are all a bit different)we help one another. Parenting is THE most important and fulfilling job there is...but is is not always easy.
Have a great day!
oh, and I love the colorful pictures!!
By
day by day, at March 12, 2008 at 12:00 PM
she has a natural dancer's stand.
Beverly
By
RamblingMother, at March 12, 2008 at 12:23 PM
What a beautiful post today! You bring up so many great points. The one in particular that I couldn't agree more with is to let your child be who they are. I see so many parents of my students ask so much of their kids, living through them, and it is heartbreaking. Each child is unique and is a gift from God.
You are a wise lady! I'm glad I have "met" you in blog land!
Thank you, friend!
By
missy, at March 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM
Terrific post, I loved reading how they challenge your parenting in different ways. You have found ways to change your parenting to fit their needs, it's the key to finding happiness and harmony in the household.
My two girls have total opposite personalities, what worked with Jen didn't work with Jill, I have had to adapt big time, LOL. :)
Great post. ;)
By
kerri, at March 12, 2008 at 12:59 PM
We have played out alot this week too. Tomorrow here in TN the high is forcasted to be 72. So we plan to enjoy every second of it tomorrow.
I enjoyed this post.
I know exactly what you mean about every child being different.
My boys are as different as night and day...personality wise.
What a blessing our children are and they have brought such fulfillment to our lives as parents.
We also enjoy EVERY second!
Great pictures once again!!
By
Jennifer, at March 12, 2008 at 1:00 PM
I loved this post! Those words near the end were balm to my soul! I should print them out for my fridge. Feel free to 'write all this' anytime. The beauty and wisdom inside of you just flows out! I am so glad i asked that question. By the way, your description of her exactly matches what I could read in her expressions, somehow!
Beautiful treasures...specially the mom one!!!
By
Sharon, at March 12, 2008 at 2:25 PM
I appreciate the wisdom of your post. changing my focus has helped us a lot these past few weeks.
love the dollhouse!
By
Unknown, at March 12, 2008 at 3:42 PM
What a wonderful post. Thanks for the reminder to parent each of our kiddos according to how God made them. Thanks also for these great verses!
By
Sheri, at March 12, 2008 at 5:23 PM
I could have written EVERY WORD of this post! We have four children, every single one of them different. I thought Elisabeth was the most strong willed until Lottie came home and then when Emma Jane hit the Byrd's Nest...Wow! This kid will go without food and milk to prove her point!
Anyway, you hit the nail on the head Connie. We all do parent in different ways for our very different children. We also let Emma sit in Greg's lap. Lottie would never sit in a highchair, carseat etc. and we had to find creative ways to make it through the day but you do it because you love this child and deep in your heart you want them happy and comfortable and to feel safe. This is the primary reason I am going to homeschool these girls. Emma like Jacob would never be comfortable in school. Actually, today I told Greg that I will take her to physcial/speech therapy one more time but if she comes home upset with me she is coming out! I can't afford to go backwards emotionally with this one and I don't want her to be unhappy for one second. She is my life...they are all four my life.
Sorry for the long post...but with some of my adoptive mom friends I have had to defend myself so much or feel like I had to in some parenting decisions and you just endorsed every feeling and decision I have made with the little ones. Big Hugs and Thank You!
By
The Byrd's Nest, at March 12, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Isn't it amazing that the same parenting gets different results and then requires individualized parenting :D! You sound liker a great mama and your kids are blessed to have you. Perhaps they will write about you as a teasure of theirs one day :)!
By
Anonymous, at March 12, 2008 at 6:58 PM
What a beautiful post. I loved learning more about your beautiful little treasures and the last paragraph and verses were so special. You are special. ;)
By
Michelle R Photography, at March 12, 2008 at 8:33 PM
Such beautiful pictures. I can tell that you are so proud of your children, and blessed. It's amazing how unique each child is. I have 5 so far. And each one is quite the individual.
By
Shari Ellen, at March 12, 2008 at 8:54 PM
Ah, just like with Tonya's pictures, I am a bit jealous of the Spring weather! You are so right about the 4-6 time frame and being outside. Wonderful post Connie, and oh so true.
By
A Crystal Garden, at March 12, 2008 at 9:05 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. I know what you mean about the spoiling thing. Our daughter has slept in our bed from the day we adopted her, and only recently (at the age of 5) is she being weined (one day her bed, the next ours). I hear people say all the time not to get started with them sleeping with you, or you'll spoil them. Usually, people with bio children who know nothing about the attachment issues that adopted children often suffer. You did what you felt your child needed and I applaud you. It's not like they're going to be sitting on your lap or sleeping in our beds when they're 15! They're only babies once.... my motto is to enjoy it while you can!
By
Annette, at March 12, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Loved the post and as always, your pictures are AMAZING!!!
By
Ohilda, at March 12, 2008 at 9:46 PM
Yes! Yes! Thanks for the Mama-Bear encouragement! You are such a light & inspiration...and yes, the best part of day light savings time is the warm evenings! love 'em!
By
Football and Fried Rice, at March 12, 2008 at 9:58 PM
Thanks for the parenting tips. Its been 18 yrs in between kids for me and I have to remember that they each have their own personality. Thanks for the scripture, loved each one!
By
Paula, at March 12, 2008 at 10:35 PM
Oh Connie! I love this post! How precious are your sweet treasures! Each unique in their own way...just the way God intended! I didn't realize you homeschooled!! How did I miss that??/ We homeschool as well....and just like you...we ADORE it! Chelsi went to public school for her first 5 years .....K-4th grade and we really felt God calling us to bring her home....and she had the same desire...so we did just that...and haven't looked back for one moment! It is such a blessing for us! I LOVE spending every day with my sweet girl...we have such a bond!
These are beautiful pics of sweet little Caitlin! What a little angel!
Sweet Blessings to you my friend!
By
Denise C, at March 12, 2008 at 11:06 PM
Lovely post.
My brother didn't use words at all until he was nearly five...mom and dad worried so about him, but now he's a PhD in chemistry!
love the verses, too.
By
LucisMomma, at March 13, 2008 at 11:04 AM
What a great read--loved the whole thing. Probably will read it a few times. Thanks too for the lines at the end--I love inspirational things and you are such an inspiration!
I remember Danny(our oldest) was so easy and one episode in a store he lost it--crying/fussy--just one of those days. I remember thinking to myself that I was so embarrassed and how could that happen. Well, now, when it happens, a changed story;) I deal so much better and I too have such a greater understanding with so much more to learn:)
By
Michelle, at March 13, 2008 at 11:34 AM
It must be universal--the 4-6 timeframe is the witching hour!!!
Such a special post. Thanks for so lovingly describing your kids and giving some wonderful verses to meditate and pray over.
Visiting you is always a blessing!
Lisa
By
Don and Lisa Osborn, at March 13, 2008 at 1:16 PM
As always, GORGEOUS photos!!!
I agree about the time change, mornings are HARD and come too early, but the afternoons are blissful!!! Lots of sunshine to enjoy before bathtime!!!
His,
Mrs. U
By
Mrs. U, at March 13, 2008 at 8:10 PM
Thanks for your post of honesty and pictures! It was great!!
I can tell you are a Great MOM!!!
Blessings to you!
Keisha
By
Keisha, at March 14, 2008 at 8:07 AM
You have a great weekend too! ;)
hugs....
By
Steffie B., at March 14, 2008 at 8:11 AM
I enjoyed reading your post. I think as parents, we expect children to do what we want them to do. I too wish I had approaced things with Mia differntly, but parenting is a learning process! Sometimes we can't explain their quirks, but that is why we love them so!
By
Lauren and Ed, at March 15, 2008 at 6:40 AM
Thank you for sharing.... so much truth and wisdom... it really touched my heart.... and made me realize some things too... thank you friend.
By
Jewels of My Heart, at March 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home