What should a Christmas gift be?

I am as usual feeling very misunderstood and different this Christmas, like one of the misfit toys;)
So I write this out to help myself digest and get my thoughts together... Its very therapeutic to type things out sometimes, it helps me feel better...
We have chosen as a family not to exchange gifts but to use that money to reach out and help others in other countries that are starving, cold, hurting, and that do not yet know our Lord and Savior. We have chosen as a family to make the Christmas season a time of tradition of togetherness, for example our Disney Trip, making cookies and goodies, watching Christmas movies and to spend time helping others in various seasonal activities. We fill the Treasures stockings with trinkets of our love for them. In the past, if there has been something special on our hearts to give them, we do. We do not just go out and buy tons of toys for the sake of thats what everyone does....
Does that mean I am against gifts? No, I enjoy giving gifts, when it is on my heart to give something that will be MEANINGFUL. Not something that will end up in a Salvation Army bin or re gifted, tossed aside and forgotten. Here is a great example of a perfect gift to me...
We have a very special person in our lives that feels very strongly about giving us a gift at Christmas but yet does not want it to be something that will be tossed; so they have asked our feelings and we have begun a wonderful tradition of this person giving my children a special book each year. This year we received this book, a much wanted book
God's Dream, it is beautiful.

This is a treasured gift that will be looked at on the shelf during the year and a smile will come to our hearts. I give to certain people through out the year and at Christmas if something special is on my heart.
I just do not feel Christmas should be all about making a list of people and searching up and down the toy isle's for something they might like, that is for sure under $10 bucks because I have so many to buy for and need to stick to a budget. I feel it should be something special that was on my heart to give the specific individual and not exchanging for the sake of exchanging. I would MUCH rather you use that $10-$20 bucks to give to a charity, than give my children a toy that can break or forget about in a couple of days.... You can buy a lot of cups of milk for a child in another country for 10 bucks, seeds for a garden, chickens for eggs.... tons of things in the Samaritan Purse catalog.... That money is much better used that way.
This year hubby and I decided to use gift money to continue to sponsor our LWB child that is in foster care and we gave to the Lottie Moon offering that The Byrd's Nest shared with me about. I had never heard about this fund because it is a Southern Baptist Missionary fund. We go to a non denominational church that is bible based. When I heard about this Missionary fund plus the fact that our friends Kim and Greg and their sweet children are about to give up ALL of their worldly goods and move to Mexico to live out the rest of their lives making disciples as missionaries,we immediately felt on our hearts this was where we need to also give for Christmas. I feel good in my heart and know we were obedient to God in our giving this year. So I have to let go the stress of attempting to make others understand...


17 Comments:
Your heart is in the right place for sure! I think if anyone questions your heart...print this and hand it to them.
What a wonderful gift you are giving your children by teaching them the true meaning of Christmas...and I'm sure it isn't easy.
By
Shari, at December 19, 2008 at 12:23 PM
The most important "gift" we can ever give our children is to teach them the importance of standing firm on their convictions. And that's what you are doing.
By
a Tonggu Momma, at December 19, 2008 at 12:32 PM
Good ideas - thanks for expressing them here. Our family had a meeting this year and worked out a plan to avoid 'over gifting'. We are blessed and are giving a love gift instead to a family in the area with a child in a health crisis.
Now, if I could get my in-laws to reconsider how they perceive this holiday....sigh.
By
Unknown, at December 19, 2008 at 2:06 PM
I understand your heart Connie. Christmas has gotten way out of control and we handle Christmas at our house the same way you do. The kids each get a stocking and that is it for Christmas morning. It is a rather odd feeling when we are in the store because we ARE selling everything we own that we desire very little these days. Must be God's grace. And we also would rather do for others. We also have given to the Samaritan Purse, it is very interesting how little it costs to supply needs for others around the world.
I love your heart and you sweet friend.
By
The Byrd's Nest, at December 19, 2008 at 2:11 PM
I just love you. Simple.as.that.
Merry Christmas!
Love,
Heather
By
Heather, at December 19, 2008 at 4:00 PM
Connie, thank you for sharing this and reminding me of the meaning of this season. I'm guilty of getting too caught up in the shopping madness and your gifts are such a perfect reminder of where we need to focus ourselves.
By
Julia, at December 19, 2008 at 4:04 PM
I wish everyone shared your generous heart. We also give to the Samaritan Purse. Its just one small way for us to give back for being so blessed.
By
Marla, at December 19, 2008 at 7:50 PM
I too wish everyone was as giving!
We would all be better off if we didn't get so wrapped up in all the commercialism of Christmas! I feel like I'm constantly reminding Hannah what Christmas is all about. It really is all about Jesus!
I will never forget the wonderful gift you sent to me after I had surgery last year. I remember that it had been a rough day and your cookies arrived. What a blessing that was and I knew it was from your heart. :)
By
Linette, at December 19, 2008 at 8:02 PM
Oh what a beautiful heart you have, my friend!! Yu are so on to the true meaning of Christmas!!
May the blessings of the season cover you all through the New Year!
By
Patricia, at December 19, 2008 at 8:29 PM
Connie,
You know I'm right there with you all the way. I feel so lost this time of year and just don't understand it all. I never liked hallmark holidays either. Why do we need reminding to bring honor and glory to our King? Isn't everday because of Him? Isn't every moment because He gives it? Our lives are for His purpose and glory and I don't believe that is bought in a store. I love knowing that anything we can give this year will go towards helping someone know the love, hope and peace of our Savior! That is where I find the most joy - giving that has a major return!
Lots of love,
Jill
By
Unknown, at December 19, 2008 at 10:15 PM
Oh, I completely understand your feelings, Connie! I think what you are teaching your kids about togetherness and helping others is a FAR better gift than you could ever buy them.
The celebration of the birth of our Savior is such a beautiful time.
The secular world has turned this joyous holiday into something not so nice. People hurting one another for the best bargain, kids knowing much more about Santa than Jesus...it's all about the material gifts....but what is getting lost is the remembrance of the most beautiful gift we will ever receive....Jesus Christ our Savior.
I could go on and on, but please know I understand your heart and I am soooo in agreement with you! Your kids are truly blessed to have you as their Mommy!!!
By
day by day, at December 19, 2008 at 11:02 PM
Connie, you are such an inspiration to me. Your strong conviction and your dear, kind heart make me feel so blessed to call you my friend.
Thank you for putting it all in perspective and helping me to step back and remember what this season is TRULY about.
Connie, you are precious!!!
By
Missy, at December 19, 2008 at 11:45 PM
I am so proud to call you friend.The Christmas spirit is alive and burning brightly in your heart.
Hugs...
By
kerri, at December 20, 2008 at 6:45 AM
Connie,
You are a shining example of exactly what God wants us to be. I was explaining this very same concept to my boys just last night because I don' t want them to be disappointed on Christmas morning. We tool are sponsoring a child this year and have helped more than a few China babies find their way home this year. I probably am not as good about all of this as you are but we are definitely moving in that direction too.
In fact, moving inspired me. When unpacking I realized how much "Stuff" we have that we never touch or play with. So yes it went to Good will but I have vowed to it buy it unless we will really use it from now on!
Thank you for your beautiful reminded about the true spirit of Christmas.
Kim
By
3 Peanuts, at December 20, 2008 at 8:30 AM
Yes, I agree. You are teaching your children the true meaning of Christmas.
By
Paula, at December 21, 2008 at 1:34 PM
What a beautiful heart! I think your children are the most blessed to have parents to stand against the "stuff" & more "stuff" sin that is so dominate in our country. What beautiful hearts you are building :) Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
lv & blessings,
Kim
By
Journey to Lilly!, at December 22, 2008 at 7:37 PM
Oh, Connie......
You are giving your children the most precious gift..... that of serving Jesus... of being His hands and feet here on the earth. This is a Christmas gift they will carry in their hearts and souls for the rest of their life.... this is a Christmas gift that is eternal for the Kingdom of God and cannot wear out or fade in time.... your family has made a difference in the lives of others who not only will have food to eat because of you but will go to bed with a smile in their hearts knowing that someone, somewhere cares.... that they love them and even more important... that Jesus loves them.
Thank you for being His faithful and loving servant.... To God be the Glory.....
We are to be in the world but not of it.... Well done my friend....
love,
Daleea
By
Jewels of My Heart, at December 28, 2008 at 9:19 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home